The Easier it Gets, the Harder it Becomes

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints understand that family is central to God's plan. It says so right here in the Family, a Proclamation to the World: "WE, THE FIRST PRESIDENCY and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children." Okay, so what about it? Well, if it's central to God's plan, then I would think that it's also central to Satan's plan-to destroy that plan. I have seen this both before getting married and after getting married. 
     Recently, I was talking to a co-worker about my husband. She said, "And what made you want to get married? I mean, you're just so young!" I was too taken aback to come up with an intelligent reply so I just said, "Um, because I love him???" It was kind of a sarcastic reply. Later I realized that it would've been a perfect opportunity to share some spiritual truths instead of getting offended. Then another time, I was with my husband and introduced him to a different co-worker. She said, "Um, aren't you a little young to be married missy?" Ugh! "I am 21!!" I said. Again, I was totally surprised at her comment. She said something like, "Well, I guess you are old enough to drink!" Wow. That's when I knew she had no concept of marriage or it's importance. And again, another teaching opportunity that I past up. Dang it! It's also no secret that Mormons marry considerably younger than the rest of the world. But why? See quote above from the Family: A Proclamation to the World. If God wants us to be married to be happy, then of course, it's all we would want! But the world doesn't understand. 
    I have also met some customers at my work place who I've chatted with. There was a woman who told me she's been waiting with her fiance to get married until they were financially stable. She also had her baby in the cart behind her. Elder Earl C. Tingey of the Quorem of the Seventy said:
“3. An emphasis on education or career may put marriage in a lesser role. Marriage, education, and career can go together. A career without family, where family is possible, is a tragedy.
“4. Do not let your life be simply an existence that is fun or selfish. Life is more than an amusement park. Do not be hooked on obtaining possessions. Accept responsibility.
“5. A negative perception of marriage … may deter one from marriage. Some say, ‘Why get married when there are so many divorces?’ The existence of divorce does not mean you cannot have a happy and successful marriage. Don’t let the actions of others make your decisions. Determine that your marriage will not be a failure.
“6. Some put off marriage for financial reasons. Postponing marriage until money is sufficient to sustain a stylish living is not wise. So much of life together—struggling, adjusting, and learning to cope with life’s challenges—is lost when that happens.”
I believe this is wise counsel. Why are we putting off marriage? Fear, confusion, being unsure perhaps? Those feelings surely do not come from the Lord. But I also want to put in that when to get married is ultimately between you and the Lord. 
    I remember also feeling pressure when I wasn't married. I knew I needed to get married but it didn't feel like an encouragement, it felt more like a race that I would never finish. It was exhausting to try and date and find someone to marry. Elder Scott tells us, "If you are single and haven’t identified a solid prospect for celestial marriage, live for it. Pray for it. Expect it in the timetable of the Lord. Do not compromise your standards in any way that would rule out that blessing on this or the other side of the veil. The Lord knows the intent of your heart. His prophets have stated that you will have that blessing as you consistently live to qualify for it. We do not know whether it will be on this or the other side of the veil. But live for it. Pray for it.” 
      Basically, there is no easier side-whether married or not, we will always face adversary. We will face people who judge, who make us question our path. It will always be difficult but that is all part of the test of life! We must tune out the sounds of the world and focus in on the sounds and voice of the Spirit. Don't show Satan that he gets to you. Be on the Lord's side and let everyone know it! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Man and WIFE man and WIFE"-Prince Humperdink

Sex Education-Why Children Need it From Their Parents